Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ika Musume Ferrari - Part 3

Today's update is all about the body (and a little bit of chassis work)






After finishing the framework for wide-body alteration, I filled the space with putty. Due to lack of knowledge, I didn't realize there were different types of putties depending on application. I used Tamiya white putty, but this type of putty is not meant for body alterations like this. I should have used epoxy putty.

As I found out, it is hard to make it smooth and shape it like you would be able to with epoxy putty. Since I started with the white putty, I continued. However it does not look very nice



The view from the back. The wing is just glued together. I have not decided yet whether to paint it carbon or leave it black. The decision will be for another day


After this, I primed the body, check for flaws (which there were lots). Then sand down or add more putty if needed, then spray the surface primer again for a double check. I had to do this several times until I was finally satisfied/gave up. 










While I was in the cycle of prime/check/sand, I noticed some imperfections in the NACA duct and around the front wheel opening. So I took care of that. I think the new duct (on the right) looks better, and the flared lip on the bottom of the front wheel opening was also added to make it look more like the real thing.




Finally, I scratch-built the side vent. It does not perfectly resemble the right thing, but it is close enough for me and my skill level.


The chassis is also altered a little bit to add the lip in the front and the flat diffuser at the back. Both parts were cut from a sheet of plastic (front: 0.5mm / rear: 1mm), and attached using glue and putty.


I hope to continue with the body and hopefully get to paint soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment