Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Ika Musume Ferrari - Part 7













This weekend I finished the interior of the car!






Seat

The back of the seat is carbon. This means I was up for another first: carbon paint. This is done by first painting the piece in mixture of black and silver, then using a fine wire mesh, airbrush black over it. The mesh will mask part of it leaving a carbon fibre like pattern.

The seat cushion is made of the fine specks usually used for grass on dioramas or scale railroad. Then I painted it with flat black to get the texture. (The picture looks rather unappealing, but it looks okay after everything is finished).


Doors

In the real race car, there is a hole in the door, with a line through it instead of a door handle. I replicated this by drilling a small hole in the door and gluing a black metal wire through it


Roll cage

If you look at some reference pictures of the GTC, you will notice that roll cage is different from the kit (What caught my eyes is the two crossed bars on the side, where the challenge roll cage has two parallel bars). So I had to remake the roll cage using some styrene tubing, using the kit cage as a guide


Once completed, compare with the kit roll cage, and you can notice the differences

Fit to the interior tub. Fits fine! Paint it silver and we're finished

The completed interior

With the items above, and the dash completed previously, I now have a complete interior. Enjoy some pictures



Check the stance

Once the interior is in place, dry fit the body to double check the stance. I think it looks good. The only thing is that the kit tires are sports tires, whereas it should be wearing racing slick tires. I don't have one on hand, and I'm still thinking about what to do. I may just use the sports tires, but the decision can wait a little bit longer






The empty engine bay. It will be worked on next!



Extra items

Just as a bonus, a couple of extra items I worked on. First is a wiper. The kit is a basic plastic piece and it's very fat and unrealistic. The upgrade part includes a PE wipers, so I will use that instead. Here is the difference:

The window masking is done by first using a clear tape and pencil in the outline of the window, then overlay that on top of the actual masking tape. Cut the outline using a knife, and then apply it back to the window (on the inside!)






















The next big item is the engine. I started it, but it will be for the next update. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment